I’d been having a hard couple days and really feeling like I hadn’t made anything or progressed this year, so I’m trying to remind myself.
Spanish 1520s dress!
Sideless surcote (pictured with the fabulous Sarah of Mode Historique)
(Unphotographed– camicia for Queen Alyce)
Some hose– I need to redo these, they always feel like they’re going to fall down, even if they aren’t. I think making them taller will help, as well as getting some real garters.
This whole set happened this year! All handsewn, and I made some definite improvements to my construction on this. The lining on the gown turned out great.
I made a ton of things for this cutie! I meant to do some more while at school, but it turns out they keep us kind of busy.
I know this set doesn’t look like much, but one of my goals this year was to move past “costume” and into “clothing,” and I feel like that really worked with this outfit. It doesn’t look like much, but it is meticulously researched, handsewn, and has remarkable grace in it’s simplicity.
I learned needlelace for my understanding textiles class! I’d tried doing reticella once before and really struggled so I’m proud of this. There’s also a corresponding poster.
Ok I didn’t make this, but I did write a 3000 word technical paper on it. It was amazing to get to spend some time with a real late 16th C textile sample.
On that note…. the main thing that happened this year was leaving for school. There was a lot of lead-up, including a couple of what could probably be described as mental breakdowns. I’m not proud of those, and particularly how they interfered with my work and life.
I made it here though, and that’s something.